In order to generate some content on here, I thought it would be good to write about headlines of the day which I post in the mid-morning, the stories I like, to help people get a better understanding of the world. Each headline would have a little bit of commentary by me.
– Fake Assange twitter outed.
An account based in Australia, named @AusFOWL said “As #WikiLeaks has said many times @JulianAssange_ is a FAKE account. The only Account Julian Uses is: @WikiLeaks.
cc: @AssangeC #Assange.” Like anything with the internet now, fake accounts claim themselves as real to get the limelight.
– Al Jaazera interviews that Iranian President Mahamud Ahmedijhad, who condemns war: http://t.co/zbzZ30wt
– Occupy is still alive and well, connecting with the antiwar movement. A recent tweet (in the last day) from @OccupyWallStNYC: “Rally against the war in #Afghanistan in front of #Obama HQ then moving onto Boeing http://t.co/jscDgS1M”
– Democracy Now!: At long last, after on-the-ground activism by the “Fast-food chain Chipotle has reached a deal with the Florida-based Coalition of Immokalee Workers to improve wages and working conditions for farmworkers who pick tomatoes used in its products. (http://m.democracynow.org/headlines/2012/10/5/32409)
– Reddit/Twitter: NYPD, called Bloomberg’s army by Occupy arrests veterans who are reading names of New Yorkers who died in war while remaing veterans stood their ground (http://twitter.com/CourtneyOccupy/status/255136131446886401/photo/1)
– The Guardian: Earning more than 10% than his rival, leftist Hugo Chavez, the pioneer of Bolivarism and socialism (he is very popular in Venezuela) who the U.S. govt. tried to overthrow in 2002, won his third re-election in an election with 80% voter turnout (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/08/hugo-chavez-wins-venezuelan-election)
– The Guardian: Motives of Pakistani anti-drone activist are questioned after his supporters wonder why he doesn’t press on (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/07/pakistan-military-blocks-antidrone-convoy)
– Russia Today: Toxic dust clouds used are used by the US military to hide machines used in fighting despite environmental and health risk (http://rt.com/usa/news/us-army-advance-obsurants-829/)
– The Guardian: Drones in UK gain scary power: facial recognition from the air: http://m.guardiannews.com/world/2012/oct/07/drones-uk-civil-liberty-fears?cat=world&type=article
– Consortium News:Iran offers to not enrich uranium more: American govt. refuses to listen:
– Religion News Service: Pope’s butler found guilty in Vatileaks scandal, sentenced to 18 months (http://www.religionnews.com/faith/leaders-and-institutions/Popes-butler-found-guilty-in-Vatileaks-scandal-sentenced-to-18-months)
– EWG: Top aide to Governor Cuomo has oil & gas holdings, so is he impartial in the debate over fracking in the state? (http://ewg.org/report/top-cuomo-aide-s-oil-and-gas-holdings-raise-questions-impartiality-ny-fracking-debate)
– Organic Consumers Association: Monsanto vs. Californians: The battle to put Prop. 37 in place (measure to label GMOs): http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_26335.cfm
– Earthjustice: Fighting to protect the Grand Canyon from Uranium Mining (http://earthjustice.org/features/ourwork/protecting-the-grand-canyon-against-uranium-mining)
I hope you enjoyed this!